ARTICLES IN MID-WEEK REVIEW

06.01.2007
Editor,
The Island.

Dear Editor,
ARTICLES IN MID-WEEK REVIEW.

I had the misfortune of reading the articles that appeared in your Mid-Week Review of your issue of the 3rd of January, 2007 referring to my letter to His Excellency the President on the subject of de-merger of the merged North and East. I do not propose to reply to any of those articles but instead prefer to refer the authors of those articles to some of my letters written to people like Mr.V.Prabaharan, his political Leader Mr.S.P.Thamilchelvan, to the Heads of the Diplomatic Missions, to some Heads of States and also to some others including the President and former President of Sri Lank, on various issues, for most of which due publicity was given by you, at times with comments in your capacity as the Editor.

If they had read some of those letters I am sure this merciless and un-reasonable attacks on me, some of which are utterly irrelevant, could have been avoided. My letter to His Excellency the President was written with good intentions, which I am sure he would have understood clearly and need not have been subjected to this type of review, the effects of which would be counter productive.

My mission is something else. I am striving hard to muster support for a solution to the ethnic problem, which is now fifty years old, within the frame work of a united or undivided Sri Lanka, inspite of the un-ending humiliations I suffer and embarrassment, I am subjected to, by the Tamil media both print and electronic, within Sri Lanka and out side. My advocating a Federal Solution and suggesting the Indian Model as an alternative to satisfy those who are opposed to the terms “Federal” and “Unitary”, on which the Indian constitution is silent, had not appeased them. I am branded as a traitor to the Tamil cause apart from facing constant threat to my life.

Such humiliations, embarrassments and threats will not deter me from going forward on my mission to assist in the formation of an ‘ideal’ society where all Sri Lankans whether they are Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims, Malays, Burghers or anyone belong to any other group will live in peace and harmony enjoying equal rights and privileges in a United Sri Lanka. I am prepared to pay any price to achieve it. I love my country and its people very dearly.

The concluding paragraph of my acceptance speech, made at the UNESCO’S Head Quarters in Paris on the 16th of November before an International Audience, on the occasion of the award ceremony of the UNESCO’s Madanjeet Singh Prize for tolerance and non-violence, is reproduced below:

“I wish to assure you all, that I and my supporters, from the Tamil United Liberation Front, will not give up on our struggles, in striving for the legitimate rights of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, to achieve peace with dignity and as a dignified race, through peaceful and non violent means, so that our future generations, will be able to say “never again” and that our children and grandchildren belonging to various multi ethnic communities, the Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims, Burghers, living in Sri Lanka, will soon be able to say WE ALL ARE BUT ONE”.

Thanking you,

Your Sincerely,


V.Anandasangaree,
President – TULF.