REPLY TO DR.DAYAN JAYATHILLEKA'S ARTICLE

Reply to Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka’s article titled “In Defence of Douglas Devananda” appearing in the island of 18.06.2008

Having found no one coming forward to defend me against Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka’s accusations I have to write, “In Defence of myself’

An article authored by Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka that appeared in “The Island” of 18.06.2008 gave me a great shock. All these years Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka’s writings were not only supportive of me and of my views, but also very much admirable and hardly with any disagreement. In reference to me he once wrote “He is a model of a moderate representative of any ethnic community anywhere in the word, and must surely be given the chance to serve his people and country in this dark hour. His time to play a role in history has come, if only we give him the chance” I do not know why he has become very critical of me, all of sudden. He might have had any sentimental compulsions to defend Hon. Douglas Devananda but I cannot understand as to why he should come on me like this. However whatever he wrote about me at this juncture are irrelevant, unwanted and uncalled for. My regret is that he has with the stroke of his pen destroyed my image and the good name. I earned over a period of time as a patriotic non-communal and moderate Tamil leader, Loved and respected by a fair section of all ethnic groups of Sri Lanka. I am not giving a good conduct certificate for myself but that is the impression I got. I would have ignored his comments about me if it had come from any other journalist because I get enough almost every day from the Tamil media, spread all over the world. But I can’t afford to brush aside Dr. Dayan’s views as one coming from somebody- because he is now representing our country, as its permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geniva, a prestigious and a very important mission of Sri Lanka. He is also a Vice – President of the United Nation’s Human Rights Council and Chairman of the Governing body of the International Labor Organization. His views will receive recognition among the world leaders and the Diplomatic Community. It is very unfortunate that he has, I will not say misused his position, but failed to take note of this fact and also failed to realize the sacrifices I had made to reach this position, facing grave risk to my life apart from the humiliations and embarrassments I had been subjected to by the Tamil media, world wide. I lie buried in a heap of demeaning and slanderous adjectives showered on me by such Tamil Media – merely to please their L.T.T.E. masters. Dr. Dayan’s unwanted and unfair criticisms and certain references that are factually incorrect add more to my agony. I am already undergoing immense trouble for the thankless job of defending the Government and the Forces at times, and blaming the L.T.T.E, the Government, and the Forces whenever wrong steppes are taken by anyone of them, for taking a neutral stand I earned credit for calling a spade a spade which every one knows. Dr. Dayan is aware that I do politics at grave risk to my life, as part of my duty to my country and its people and not as business or for any personal gains.

In defence of me I wish to quote from Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka’s article that appeared in the Sunday Observer of 14th May, 2006 under the caption “War Clouds with a thin Silver lining”. The following is the section that appears under the sub-head:

Anandasangaree’s Hour.

“A New York Times journalist e-mailed me the other day with a question, “dose the Sri Lankan Government have a plan for devolution?. It was a question to which I must confess, I had no answer, and therefore had to direct to my old friend, former Georgetown alumni, and spokesperson for the joint Tamil delegation at the crucial closing session of the 1985 Thimpu Talks, Kethesh Loganathan, who is currently the deputy head of the Peace Secretariat. Frankly, I don’t know whether he had an answer, or whether anyone dose for that matter.

This is the Achilles heel of the democratic Sri Lankan state; the weakest link in the Sri Lankan case. It has to be rectified, and here’s how; President Rajapakse should appoint the TULF leader Mr. Anandasangaree as special representative, assisted by SCOPP’s Kethesh Loganathan, to hammer out a devolution deal in consultation with the non Tiger Tamil parties, the politicians of Tamil Nadu(known to Mr. Sangaree), and New Delhi ( Where he will be welcome) as well as the Sri Lankan parties in Parliament.

Mr. Anandasangaree belongs to the old Federal Party tradition and therefore has longstanding Tamil nationalist credentials. He is also a veteran parliamentarian, and is untainted by association with any kind of violence, unlike the other non – Tiger Tamil groups. He has good relation with the JVP and JHU, who would shoot down his devolution proposals at the cost of exposing them selves as extremists.

Mr. Anandasangaree’s relation with the Tamil Nadu politicians can bring them on board or neutralise there, thereby pre-empting Prabakaran’s use of them post- election, and also relieving the pressure they are likely to bring to bear on New Delhi, against Colombo. Anandasangaree can dialogue easily with the UNP leadership. He can also convince the world community about the merits and adequacy of the devolution package.

He is a model of a moderate representative of any ethnic community anywhere in the word, and must surely be given the chance to serve his people and country in this dark hour. His time to play a role in history has come, if only we give him the chance

In another article that appeared on “The Island” of 9th December, 2006 under the Caption Mahinda’s massage and the Majority Reports Dr. Dayan says:

“The Majority report of the Experts Group of the All Parties’ Conference contains a reasonable and generous proposal for devolution and autonomy within a united Sri Lanka. One notes that the majority faction is multi-ethnic, with a majority of Sinhalese (6) but also Tamils and Muslims. Though it contains two people whose intellect, I have the highest respect for, the minority faction is, by contrast, Sinhala only in terms of composition”.

This clearly gives the impression that he supports the majority report of the Experts Group of the All Parties Conference. On the 4th day, that is on the 13th of December, 2006, he writes again to “The Island” under the Caption, “How to reconcile the Reports”. I quote the portion under the sub-head

Three wise men

“Whatever the hardliners both Sinhala and Tamil say, public opinion polling over the last decade show a somewhat different picture. They reveal consistent support from a majority of our citizens for enhancements of devolution, and strengthening of provincial councils, provided these stop short of federalism. The expert’s panel’s products correspond perfectly to those specifications. A proposals representing consensus (and consensus is not unanimity) could be sustained by the SLFP – UNP agreement, irrespective of the raucous cries of the perennial hawks. The two major parties taken together, command the support of well over two – thirds of the country’s citizenry.

It would be a colossal tragedy to permit a vocal and organized minority of extremists to veto the proposals. All we need do is imagine what Sri Lanka would have been like, where we would all have been, if the Bandaranaike Chelvanayagam pact had not been abandoned in the face of criticism and protests which were a forerunner of those of today. Today’s criticisms are not by the children of ‘56, but by the children of’ 57, i.e. of those forces that thwarted the B-C pact!

If the experts’ panel and the political parties are unable to fuse the for reports that are on the table, then it is incumbent to call upon an apex group of eminent persons to act as umpires or judges and arbitrate in the matter. I can think of none better than these Three Wise Men: UNESCO prize winners Judge CG Weeramantry and Mr.Anandasangaree and Mangala Moonesinghe.

Failure Unaffordable

We cannot afford to fall. This goes not only foe the government – the president has promised the world community that a political reform the will settle Tamil grievance is well on the horizon-but the armed forces, the state, and the country as a whole. Engaged in a difficult war in this decisive coming year, our armed forces need all the support we can obtain for it globally, through implementing and ethnic proposal. if we Sri Lankan – especially Sinhalese – are still seen to be either unwilling or unable to reform the state in such a manner as to better manage ethnic alienation, the LTTE’s case will have been at least half –prove. For the sake of the armed forces and its ongoing fight, we must prevent such external support from accruing to the Tigers, which would be the case if we failed to seedily devolve.

However, devolution should also be safe and saleable. This can be ensured by can building in to the majority report, the minority report’s security – related stipulations as safety locks.

Dr. Dayan’s thinking on the 13th of December, 2006 was that I was one of the three wise men to act as umpires or judges and arbitrate in the matter. I do not know on what basis Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka adjudged me as one of the three wise men I do not know. However I felt honored that I had been elevated to such a high position in the heart of Dr. Dayan Jayatilleka. He could not have changed his option so soon since I had not changed in anyway. There are some other references available with me in support of my claim that Dr. Dayan Jayatilleke endorsed my views on the ethnic question or in the alternative my thinking came close to his thinking.

The purpose of quoting these references is not to embarrass Dr. Daran for whom I have great regards. It is my duty to clear my name as well in the interest of the country which may still need my services. I am even now strongly of the view that no lasting solution can be found for the ethnic problem under a Unitary Constitution which will leave it open for anybody to throw it into the bin one day in the future. This is what exactly happened to the Provisions for the safeguard of the minorities in the Soulbury Constitution. Only a Federal Constitution or in the alternative atleast one based on the Indian model will satisfy the minorities and prevent agitation for further reforms in the future. Please can be found only in a contended society where everyone is equal to one another and no one is superior or inferior to the other. Furthermore no solution can be found for the Ethnic Problem in installments in our country where we could not get over even the 1st stage during the past 20 years. Getting over the 2nd and 3rd stages in the future, as proposed by Hon. Douglas Devananda, will only be a day-dream.

Some of Dr. Dayan’s comments, although claimed as his personal views, are least expected of him and should not have come from a Diplomat. Some of his comments are irrelevant, annoying and insulting. Some others shockingly reveal a little bit of chauvinism. I do not want to put on a communal garb to answer his accusations. What is the superiority complex of the Jaffna man he is talking about, little realising that the Jaffna man is the under- dog today, very much in need of support and sympathy?. He lives under the subjugation of several masters, in constant fear and tension. He can open his mouth only to eat. Hon. Douglas Devananda himself should feel ashamed of the manner in which Dr. Dayan Jayattileka is championing his cause.

I did not realise all these days that capability of survival and standing up to tiger terrorism, having a photograph in shorts carrying an AK.47, having a scar on the body following a gun shot injury are qualifications for good leadership. What can I do if no direct attempt was made by the L.T.T.E to kill me?. I have not seen a weapon up to now that I can identify as an AK 47. The only scars I have on my body are dog-bite marks. I too had been in Parliament with Prime Ministers some of whom had later became Presidents. If working with the Presidents belonging to different political parties is a qualification for leadership, I am sorry I don’t have that qualification. Dr. Dayan talks of Sinhala Presidents. For a person of Dr. Dayan standing this is not a matter for botheration?. What dose it matter is the Presidents are Sinhalese?. How Hon. Douglas Devananda is within the state system for 20 years is anybody’s guess.
I agree with Dr. Dayan that if Douglas Devananda did not exist, the democratic system would have had to invent him, why can’t Dr. Dayan also pay credit to him for inventing the new democratic system of entering parliament with 9 others by keeping out all opponent and obtaining only 8000 odd votes in one electorate and total of 175 votes in the other 10 electorate, out of a total of over 500 000 votes.

Dr. Dayan dose not know my history. It is good for him not to distort it merely to please somebody. It is strange that he talks of Douglas Devananda’s association with the leftists without realizing that for the last fifty five years I had remained as a leftist and had been associated with the most top ranking leftist leaders numbering more than twenty within and outside Parliament. In short I am totally disappointed with Dr. Dayan defence of Douglas Devananda. Most of the arguments put forward by him are irrelevant and some are childish and far from the truth.



V. Anandasangaree,
President – TULF.